Friday, July 15, 2011

folly at the salon

as many of you may already know, i got my hair cut yesterday. i posted pictures on facebook. but i guess for the sake of my blog, i will post some here, as well.





the general consensus is that most people like it - a lot. now, that's a big win on my part since it is shorter than i anticipated. i've got to be careful; with my round face and all. certain hair styles are a no-go on this girl (thumbs pointed at myself). anyway - the folly wasn't the accidental shortness of my hair. it was something totally different... fyi - this is going to be a long blog. sorry.

those of you that know me, know that i never really did much with my hair. maybe once a year i would get a shape-up, a trim or layers. i barely ever brushed my hair either. i made sure that my hair was free of knots. usually by running my fingers through it. but i didn't really take a brush to it. i didn't need to. recently - within the last 8 months - i decided that i wanted to look more "put together". i'm grown up now. i should look that way, too. right? so, my first step in making this happen was to get an actual hair style. any "put together" woman you come across undoubtedly has a good hair style. or, at the very least, you know she is doing her hair every morning. so, me getting a hair style meant that i would have to do my hair every morning. thereby sparking my responsibility to look "put together".

i went to this salon near my home. it's called creative designs hair studio. i got my first real hair style since my first year of college. i was a walk-in. so, whoever had available time was the one that i had cut my hair. her name was emily. she did a fine job, and i left happy. a few months later, to keep up with my new "put togetherness", it was time to go back. emily wasn't available that day. which didn't matter much to me because the truth is i don't really care who cut it. usually, i just take whoever is available no matter where i go. so that day a lady by the name of lori cut my hair. i sat in her chair and told her was i was going for - different from the last time i had it cut. it wasn't that i didn't like the cut i got from emily. it's just that i wasn't sure if it was the style i wanted to stick with for the time being. anyway. lori did a great job and, once again, i left happy.

i've had my hair cut twice since that day. and both times it was by lori. she does a good job following the half-ass explanations of what it is i am going for in a hair cut. which is important when someone, like me, keeps switching up their hair style. so, i decided to stick with her.

yesterday i called to see if i could have lori cut my hair - begin folly - the only problem was, i didn't know lori's name was lori. i guess the last time she cut my hair, which was the one day that i actually called to make an appointment with her, i only knew to ask for "lori" because i had a business card in front of me with her name plastered across it. but now, which was yesterday, i didn't have the business card in front of me and i didn't know who to ask for. the only name i could think of was emily. doh - she hasn't cut my hair in quite some time. and typically it wouldn't matter who i saw when i got there, but i like how lori gets what i'm asking for. she always makes it work. but i haven't realized my folly just yet.

around 6 o'clock, i show up to the salon. the first person i see is lori; she greets me and asks what she can do for me. i respond that i'm there for a hair cut and that she's the one cutting it. somewhat bewildered, she asks me if i called earlier and i told her that i had... lori's response was, "that's funny. i didn't see your name in the book." and why would she have seen my name in the book as her next appointment? i moronically asked for emily.

she took me back to her chair, and after we started to chat i realized my folly! i gave the wrong name over the phone! i have the right person, but i definitely gave the wrong name. so, i told lori about the mix up and how i was definitely in the book but under emily's time slot. i felt stupid. jokingly, lori gave me a hard time and i apologized for being a moron. but that wasn't the end of it. while the realization of wrong names, missing appointments and apologies was taking place, emily was right next to us with a customer. i know she heard it all and i could see she was slightly jaded. i would be too, if one of my available time slots was taken up by someone that was now getting their hair cut by someone else instead. i felt like pile of turds for sure.

eventually lori finished my hair, which was a different style yet again, and we went to go square up my payment. and unfortunately, as everyone’s luck would have it, my unscheduled time with lori was cutting in to another customer’s time. that customer had been there for a little bit now, waiting for lori to finish up with me. so, lori asked emily, who was near by, to help finish up my receipt - wonderful. you could cut the tension between emily and i with a knife.

emily looked at me with a jaded face and, at some point, said, “i cut your hair last time.” she was almost whiny about it. what's worse - she was wrong. she wasn't the last person to cut my hair. i kindly let her know, that while she had indeed has cut my hair before, it was lori who had actually cut my hair the last few times. this girl in front of me - jaded - had only cut my hair once; it was the first time I had ever been in to the salon. that was many many months ago. eh. regardless, i apologized for the name and appointment mix up. she continued to mumble about it some more. i am not even sure what she said, but she quickly cut herself off saying, “no. i shouldn't say that... it’s not fair...” that's exactly right! you shouldn’t be saying anything to me that would make me - the customer who has already apologized - feel like shit!

my mistake was an honest one and my apology was sincere. needless to say, i was confused, bothered and still quite sorry about everything as i walked out of the salon. i will forever remember to request lori when i make my appointments.

..........jfk...........

No comments:

Post a Comment