Tuesday, June 12, 2012

maternity leave + outlet shopping

maternity leave + outlet shopping with my bff = the best, worst decision ever.

not too long ago, i decided to go shopping with my bff, beth. we wanted to hang out, shop and enjoy some quality time together as best friends often do. it was a nice day. we hit the outlets as they opened and walked around and shopped and then concluded the afternoon at the craft ale house, in limerick.

neither one of us is really a big clothing shopper and both of us had agreed we were each in serious need of some new clothes. i was winding down the home stretch of my maternity leave and it had been at least 10 months since i had really bought new clothes for my non-pregnant self and beth was trying to outfit her wardrobe to fit her new svelte body.


this is my depiction of beth and i that day at the outlets

we had a gay ol' time - bought clothes at the loft, gap, columbia, banana republic - even made a stop at starbucks for some iced deliciousness... by the end of our shopping, i new i was dangerously close to over-drafting my bank account, if not having done so already. but we weren't quite done with our time together - there was one more stop, and that was lunch/good beer at the craft ale house.

good times.

now, obviously i should have known better than to go on a shopping spree while i was still on my unpaid maternity leave. what was i thinking?! not much i guess. i just wanted to enjoy my time with beth. and that i did. though i guess if i made one smart move that day, it had to be that i put lunch on my credit card and not my debit card. by that point i had already over-drafted my bank account, even though i didn't really know it yet. i didn't find that out till later, when i got home and checked on the situation.

oops.

but there are four good things to this whole experience/situation 1.) i had a really fun time with my bff. 2.) my checking account is hooked up with my savings account. so if i do happen to do what i did that day, the overage comes from my savings and i don't have to stand there looking embarrassed and rejected by the person trying to charge my debit card. 3.) i guess i am allowed one over-draft a year, month or whatever, without incurring the $35 fee. so, all in all, it didn't cost me anything extra to be an irresponsible shopper that day. 4.) i learned a valuable lesson; don't go on a shopping spree with your bff when you are on an unpaid maternity leave.

..............jfk..............

No comments:

Post a Comment