Tuesday, September 20, 2011

update on the "move over" situation

after a lot of emails and conversations with my sister in law jen, i have decided to plead not guilty to the citation i received earlier this month for not following the steer clear law. mailed out my plea this morning, along with my check for my fine, plus an additional $7.00 for court fees or whatever.

what do i have to lose, right? here's the way i see:
  • best case scenario - i am found not guilty and i don't have to pay the fine; which means i should get a reimbursement for the check they required i mail out with my plea
  • worst case scenario - i am found guilty and pay the fine; which will have already been taken care of
  • even worse case scenario - i am found guilty and pay the fine and get points on my license
that last one... there is that one dreadful detail we are all unsure about; whether or not i will get points on my license for this offense. the girl at the district court couldn't answer me when i asked her about this. all she could tell me was that i could maybe call penndot or my auto insurance carrier. but even then, she wasn't sure if they could help me either. gahhhh. what am i supposed to do?

i searched the inter-webs. but that didn't exactly help. no where could i find an answer to whether or not i would get points... every site i hit defined the offense and stated that it is punishable through a fine up to $250. but nowhere did any of the sites mention points or no points. now, i suppose that the lack of information regarding points could be an indicator that points are not to be given. but still. how am i to know for sure?!

so, i am following the advice i got from jen and her lawyer friends at work. we all have come to the same conclusion. which is, although it doesn't look like i will get points, it can't hurt to plead not guilty and see what happens. at the very least, i can hopefully find out from the judge whether i will get points on my license if found guilty.

.............jfk............

No comments:

Post a Comment