Thursday, June 30, 2011

good-bye, my love.

this weekend, i sell the skate... for those of you that don't know what the skate is, it is my vw golf. i love that car. there hasn't been a day where i didn't feel love and affection for that zippy little automobile. and i'm about to let 'er go to someone else. it's gonna be a sad day.

that car, was in fact, my dream car. i know! seems strange. like, i didn't know how to shoot for the stars... or set my expections, my hopes, or my dreams a little higher. i guess i'm a simple person when it comes to a lot of things. and if you know me, you know that i don't ask for much when it comes to material things - like cars. i just want to be happy. and that golf made me happy.

------------a little bit of history----------------
my first car was a 1988 vw fox. it was a fun little piece of metal on wheels. i beat that thing to death. i remember the day i bought it... i was terrified. i was buying a manual transmission car and i didn't know the first thing about driving a manual transmission car. i must not have been terrified enough, because i bought it. really, the only requirement i had at that point was it being a vw. as soon as i saw that vw, i wanted it. so i paid $1,200 of my hard earned cash for it.

learning how to drive it was horrible. i was right by being terrified the day i bought it. my dad was never home to help and my mom made me cry several times before relinquishing her teaching duties to my pop-pop, who sort of creeped me out. so, one day i decided to do it on my own. it was going to be me and the fox, out on the back roads of sadsburry township alone. the way i saw it, i had received enough verbal coaching from others and it was time to just take what they said and do it myself. without any more tears being shed, i learned how to drive my car. it's funny how, after being the owner of a vw, i started to notice them more on the roads. they were cool cars... i had decided that i never wanted another car that wasn't a vw, and i guess eventually i had made it a goal of mine to own a golf. i must have seen one on the road one day and i said to myself, "that is the car for me."

eventually it was time for a second car. the fox had seen better days and died during my first year of college. working with an extremely tight budget and no time to actually shop around, i bought what i could at the lot that we went to that day. thank you brian hoskins ford for the worst piece of sh*t i have ever owned up to this point in my life. the chevy cavalier. it died on me before i had finished paying it off. so, it was time to shop for another, and this time i didn't want to hastily buy another car. no more pieces of crap! i need to get a good car and it needed to be something i actually wanted. to allow me time to shop, i bunked with a co-worker. this allowed me to still get to work even though i had no car. while at work, i searched online for cars and when i found one i was interested in i would have my brother take me to look at it.

so, after about a week or two i found a car. it was a 2002, 5-speed, 4-door piece of heaven. she was glorious. some time passes and one day i decided to name her. i just couldn't keep calling her "the car" or "the vw" or " the golf". i loved her so much that i felt she deserved a name of her own. so, i went ahead and came up with a few names and eventually "the skate" stuck. she was like a little roller skate - zipping around the road pulling sweet sweet roller rink tricks. ah, the skate.
------------history lesson over----------------

here we are, present day. as of this past december, the skate has been paid off, and i enjoy the true feeling of owner ship. but alas. after a few various conversations, and completely valid reasons later, my husband said to me that it is time to get a "big girl car". he was right. so we looked and sort of shopped online. there were some bumps in the road about what to get and what made sense. but eventually we found something nice that we both liked and enjoyed... a vw touareg. and since there is no reason for me to own two cars, this saturday i sell the skate. i miss her already.

good-bye, my love.

.................jfk...............

1 comment: