Wednesday, June 15, 2011

i have an addiction

yes. an addiction. "to what?" you might ask. well. a few thing, but today we are going to talk about how i am addicted to checking and reading peoples' blogs - even my own now.

initially started following peoples' blogs out of boredom, not addiction. when i would have nothing to do here at work, i would check to see if anyone had anything new that they posted about on their blog. something i could read about. **side note. if you didn't already know, blogs offer a good way to pass the time, just like online news sites. the content is always, in some manner, informative and always changing and/or updating with something new from the last time i probably visited. the only difference between peoples' blogs and the news sites is that the news sites are usually depressing - full of murder, crime, natural disasters, crooked politicians etc...and the blogs are more light-hearted and entertaining to read.** but now, i can't stop. even if i am not 100% bored, i'm checking blogs. it's a problem. i am addicted to what people are up to and what they have to say and how they might be feeling, and it got worse. i decided to start a blog - as if people really care about my ramblings. whatever the case, if people don't care then they shouldn't be reading this blog. am i right?

i know in my first post i kind of explained why i started this blog - it is a way to spend/pass/kill down time at work. but there was a little more to it than that. my addiction to reading the blogs was so strong, that the authors of the blogs i was following, in my neediness to be entertained and occupied, weren't posting enough. i wanted something from them every day and it just wasn't happening and the news sites are too too toooooo depressing to rely on. so i started blogging. thus, spending/passing/killing down time at work in a new way. and thus, feeding in to my addiction.

oh the shame. if you are interested, here are the ways i kill down time at work:

- archive closed and billed projects
- back up work for current projects to the server
- organize my "active jobs"
- see if anyone else needs help
- try to "look" busy with work
- check/write email
- balance my checkbook
- check on:
  • the blogs i follow for updates
  • cnn.com if i want to be depressed
  • thefrisky.com for silliness
  • peopleofwalmart.com to feel astonished
  • facebook.com to see whats going on
  • my own blog's stats
- write my own blog posts
- google things i want(ed) to know about
- talk with my office spouse, thore
- text my husband to see if he misses me
- write lists of what i need to "do" or "buy"
- stare at my screen

that covers most of the ways. good day to you.

.................jfk...................

No comments:

Post a Comment